What fun we had in January with free hugs and feeding the homeless. I’m so grateful to have Cathy on board helping lead many fantastic gives back events. We could always use more help in creating new gives back events and leading them, so if you have ideas, please send them to Cathy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Free Hugs IV – we are in count down stages of global free hugs. Invitations to previous huggers and finding new hug locations is in the works. If you have suggestions or want to help us spread the word, email us at email@example.com.
Live, Love, Laugh, Hug
Name: Hello! My name is Maura and I’m a Chicago native…However, I have lived in 3 other states but continue to find my way back to the south side.
1. I volunteered at these PF events: Free Hugs
2. I volunteer because: It’s the Free Hugs event(s) that have led me to PF. After watching several videos and hearing of a coworker’s experience I knew I had to find out how I could be a part of such a wonderful thing! I wanted in! After a few Google searches, I discovered PF J My favorite volunteer experience…
3. My favorite volunteer experience: Hmmm…Well, it would have to be the first time we (my two boys and I) attended a Free Hugs Sunday. My older son (7) was vehemently opposed of the whole thing, “You can’t make me do this! I’m not going to talk to anyone! This is boring!”. I told him that he did not have to do anything that made him feel uncomfortable and could sit quietly and draw or read a book. My intention was to stay for just an hour. Not even 10 minutes after we arrived, my four year old whom is QUITE shy wanted to pretend that he needed a hug. “Ask me, Mom. Ask me!” and he would walk by, I would ask him if he needed a hug and he would walk over to me with his arms open…and of course I gave him a great big squeeze. Not soon after, Liam (4) was standing next to me and would “help” me give hugs to passers-by. Meanwhile, Aidan (7) who was brooding on the sidelines is witnessing all of this. I notice him begin to tear pages out of his sketch pad…He has created his own “FREE HUGS” sign for his brother to hold. I could hear Aidan whispering, “Hear, Liam…Hold this…higher!” Because Liam always does what his big brother tells him, Liam began to display his own sign…and received quite a warm response! It was not long after that Aidan began to hide behind me and sort of offer himself up to be hugger by those whom I hugged. However, this lasted a short time…Aidan and Liam announced they wanted to stand across the way from me. They both were holding signs over their heads and bellowing, “FREE HUGS!!!!! WHO NEEDS A HUG!!?!?” When it came time for us to go, Aidan would plead, “Just 5 more minutes! Just 5 more minutes!” What a wonderful day! It had such a profound affect on me and my children…It was also amazing to watch those individuals who didn’t feel comfortable hugging a grown-up but were willing to accept one from a child. I don’t think we stopped smiling the rest of that day J
4. When not volunteering, I like to: When not volunteering, I LOVE to bake bread, knit, read and will be running the Chicago Marathon this year.
5. You might be surprised to know: One might be surprised to learn that actually…I’m kind of shy. 🙂
January events: What our Givers are said: Free Hugs:
Always in all ways, this is one of my favorite events.
Feed the Hungry, Feed the Soul:
I truly enjoyed helping to serve others in need. it was a very rewarding and fulfilling experience.
This is a great way of giving back to the community.
It was a wonderful evening of helping others. Very warm vibe.
We had more than enough people, but there was something to do for everyone! What a wonderful turnout.
PF Gives back event Feed the Hungry, Feed the Soul, is a wonderful event. You get a chance to roll up your sleeves, do a little hard work and share a smile. It feels good to try and help make a difference in people’s lives.
This is such a warm place to be, the positive and hopeful energy and family like relationship with the guests is unbelievable. I wish I had more time to be with these people.
About PF Gives Back: PF Gives Back positively allows people to live life to the fullest through serving others such as Free Hugs, Random Acts of Kindness, and volunteering for other social service agencies, and much more.